PROJECTS – COMMERCIAL
LANE COVE AQUATIC CENTRE – COMMERCIAL BUILDING REFURBISHMENT
|Location||2 Little Street, Sydney NSW 2066|
|Client||Lane Cove Council|
|Type of Contract||Australian Standards AS4000|
The Lane Cove Aquatic Leisure Centre is a community leisure and recreation facility located on Sydney’s lower north shore. Owned by Lane Cove Council and managed by BlueFit. Facilities include Aquatics, Health Club, Sauna, Steam Room Spa, Crèche and Cafe.
The Lane Cove Council engaged Bermagui Constructions to carry out alterations and additions to the existing layout of the Aquatic Centre and also major rectification works to the roof structure and southern glazed facade.
The works took place when the entire leisure centre, outdoor and indoor pools and gym were still in operation. Bermagui Constructions had to coordinate with the management of the leisure centre and Lane Cove Council to ensure that the project was delivered on time and with minimal disruption to the operations of the leisure centre, its staff and patrons.
The works were completed in time for the peak usage in Summer 2014-2015.
The works included the following:
- Relocation of the main entrance from upper level to lower pool level – this incorporated concrete demolition works, façade infill, new entry canopy, new formed concrete stairs and footpath works and signage and landscaping;
- New outdoor concrete balcony deck overlooking the existing 50 metre outdoor pool;
- New two storey internal control/kiosk/office including mechanical and kiosk equipment install;
- New reception works for both the pool entrance and the new gym entrance;
- Two new program rooms below new concrete deck including mechanical installation;
- Upper level extension to from a spin room off existing gym;
- Major internal refurbishment to upper level including demolition, new amenities, new secondary control, gym expansion, major glass curtain wall and associated walkway platform to lift area;
- Lift shaft refurbishment;
- New Electrical Services upgrade works;
- New Mechanical Services Works;
- Rectification Works to the Ceiling, Air Handling and Southern Glazed Facade;
- Replacing the ceiling hangers, installing new ceiling insulation and a vapour barrier throughout the building, using Council’s approved method of work;
- Replacing existing air extract fans with new roof mounted extract fans and adding extract ductwork;
- Adding supply fans to create a small amount of positive pressure to the ceiling void and the lift shaft;
- Replacing the entire southern glazed facade, including transoms and mullions and new performance glazing;
- Refurbishing the large tilt-up doors and installing a new double doors leading to a new external deck.